Thursday, March 19, 2009

Meals on Wheels for a Day





I took a short timeout today to get a better sense of one of the many services we provide for our seniors in Hamilton County -- Meals on Wheels. I did this as part of "March for Meals" week, to draw attention to this critical service, and the broader issue of senior hunger. I and a number of other elected officials agreed to take part in some meal deliveries.

Today, I joined a driver, Steve Martin, a retired plumber, on his regular route, and we visited four seniors under the program. In addition to delivering meals, we had a pleasant chat with each client. It's clear that as much as the meal itself, the face-to-face checking in is also a critical part of the service.

I want to thank Steve, and Wesley Community Services, funded by the Council on Aging of Southwestern Ohio, for allowing me to join their route today.

No comments:

Free Blog CounterEnglish German Translation