Friday, March 6, 2009

Impressive Interest in Council '09 Race

I must say, it's exciting and refreshing to see so many people interested in running for City Council.

When I first started running in 2000, the first question I often got was: why in the world would you want to do that? And I always thought that was part of the problem--if service to our City through elected office was held in such low esteem, you wouldn't expect much from those who serve. And as a result, you wouldn't get much.

That seems to have changed. In recent months, I have met with a variety of impressive and talented individuals, with very interesting backgrounds and experiences, who are planning to run for Council this year. Just today, both Laure Quinlivan and Nicholas Hollan have made clear they plan to run. A month ago, Tony Fischer--an Iraq war veteran--entered the race.

And just yesterday, I met with another very intriguing candidate who will soon announce. I won't blow his cover.

While there will be quite a squeeze come November, I think it's very good news for the City that a new wave of public servants, from all walks of life and parts of the City, is stepping up to help lead the City and this region forward.

No comments:

Free Blog CounterEnglish German Translation