One announcement I made that I'm excited about, was the introduction of a website to help our working families get through the current economic crisis. Go to http://www.hamiltoncountyfamilies.com/, and it will provide information on how families can reduce costs and make the most of what they earn.
Other key announcements and initiatives:
- a strategy to provide relief to middle class and working families, including expanding successful Foreclosure Prevention efforts
- reemphasized job creation strategies
- announced efforts to make the County an easier place to do business
- announced a policy that the County and City will insist that all jobs being created through public dollars be listed and made available to County residents, through the Super Jobs Center
- explained that the County will use the stimulus to make strategic investments in construction, energy, transportation, and community revitalization projects
In Public safety, announced new strategies to relieve jail overcrowding and improve safety
Explained Plans to create more accountable and effective government, including:
- Shared Services: pursue shared services whenever possible, from tax collection and purchasing to fire districts—saving taxpayer dollars and creating better service
- A Professionalism and Ethics initiative: assuring that qualifications, hard work and top performance are how our hard-working County employees are judged, rewarded and get ahead—and not other factors (ie. politics) unrelated to the job for which they’re being paid with taxpayer funds.
As I said in closing, I firmly believe that in 2009 and beyond, we can put ourselves on a stronger, more competitive footing than we have been before.